Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Wanganui Architecture










I went to Wanganui on the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!
It really brought home what a boring, culture-less place Tauranga is!
One of the things I enjoyed the most was the architecture of the place - not only some of the loveliest private colonial homes and villas that I have see, but all the old buildings and shops in town were amazing.
Now, it is no secret to readers of this blog that I particularly enjoy a lot of 1970's stuff, and architecture is no different, and there are some really nice, interesting examples of that in Wanganui also.
Unfortunately, just like 1970's wallpapers, there are a lot of really CRAP examples also. Now the house I am posting here is one I am not really sure how to categorise! - I can't make up my mind if it's just "interesting" or CRAP.
Sometimes things just seem "right" - or have some special "balance" or "Inbalance." It points to me that the designer either "got it" or "nailed it" as opposed to "not-quite getting it" or couldn't decide on how to solve a problem" OR the situation that is MOST LIKELY, the CLIENT said ooooh yes, I love EVERYTHING . . . only can you make those round windows SQUARE with POINTY ROOFES!" (as I reckon was the case with THIS house)
Now, Howard Roarke would have told the client to get stuffed, but THIS architect buckled, and look at the mess - on display for the world to witness!
I am not saying this IS the case, because it may NOT be! - don't forget, they had a lot of seriously good drugs back then, and this particular architect . . . well . . . let's not go there! What do YOU think?
There is no doubt to me that it sits on the site nicely, and it makes a hell of a statement perched there on the edge of the hill up there, and it is witness to a fabulous view (see the other picture), but what were they thinking with those bloody square boxes with pointy roofes! What do YOU reckon?

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Cresswell said...

Looks to me like the work of architect Roger Walker. Wellingtonians would recognise his "whimsical" work.

4:02 pm  
Blogger The Tomahawk Kid said...

Those boxes look like "add-ons" to me.
Somebody purchased the house in the future and wanted more windows, and got some random builder to give them some ideas!
I would have thought the original architect would have made them round like some of the other windows on the place

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home