Friday, July 28, 2006

Ten bands, fifteen questions

I found this at NotPC, who found it at Paula's place. The first step is to write down 10 bands quickly--the first ten off the top of your head. Mine are:

1: Dr Feelgood
2: Patti Smith Group
3: Tom Waits
4: Sensational Alex Harvey Band
5: Rolling Stones
6: Ian Hunter
7: The Fabulous Thunderbirds
8: Nick Cave
9: The Beatles
10: Johnny Winter

Then, there's the questions...

1. What was the first song you ever heard by 6? ''
All the Way From Memphis, when he was the singer for Mott the Hoople

2. What is your favourite album of 8? ''
No More Shall We Part

3. What is your favourite lyric of 5?"
I was driving home earaly one morning, listening to the gospel music on the coloured radio station, when the preacher said you will always have the lord by your side.
I was so pleased to be informed of this - I ran 20 red lights in his honour - thank you Jesus - Thank you lord!

4. How many times have you seen 4 live?
None unfortunately

5. What is your favourite song by 7?
She's Tough

6. Is there a song of 3 that makes you sad?
Georgia Lee on Mule Variations - about a small girl that had been murdered

7.What is your favourite lyric of 9?
"
It is Lennon and McArtney were talking about here - talk about an impossible question to answer!
Let me see, how about.
I am the egg man, I am the Walrus - goo goo ga jube! (the least most memorable lyric of course!) or Let me take you down, cos I'm going to . . . or Rocky Racoon, checked into his room, only to find Gideons Bible! or I'm so tired I'M feeling so upset,. Im'm so tired - I'll have another cigarette, and curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid GIT! or here come old flat top, he come grooving up slowly etc etc

8. What is your favourite song by 1? '
There are so many songs that epitomise Dr Feelgood for me. All their different guitarists were so influential so here's one by each.
Down By The Jetty (with Wilko)
As Long as the Price Is Right (with Johnny)
Quit While Your Behind (with Gordon)
Nadine (with Steve)

9. How did you get into 8?
Saw the video to the song "under 16 feet of pure white snow" on the tv - weht out and purchased the album the next day

10. What is your favourite song by 4? '
Swampsnake

11. How many times have you seen 1 live?
Once in Rotorua at Tudor Towers
Once in Tauranga at the Otumoetai Trusst Hotel about 5 years later, where I was asked up on stage by Lee Brilleaux to have a jam with them. Also got backstage, and got autographs, and had a few beers with the guys. Lee also gave me his enamel Dr Feelgood badge.
Once in Hamilton a week later. Lee spotted me dancing in the crowd, and announced a "special guest" and called me up on stage from the middle of the crowd! - What a buzz
Once in Portsmouth about 5 years later

12. What is a good memory concerning 2?
Standing in line to get tickets at Wembley Arena - Some long hair in a leather jacket (looked a bit like me at the time!) walked up to me and gave me 2 tickets - said they were FREE, and then walked off, and into the arena via a side door.
I followed him, and was met by a huge bouncer, who looked at the tickets, and said - "Oh, the SPECIAL ENCLOSURE" - follow me. - It was up in the EXCLUSIVE balcony - armchairs - bar, and all kinds of other luxuries! - all about 10 feet from the stage.
The best gig I have ever been to.

13. Is there a song by 2 that makes you sad? !
Patti Smith doesn't really do sad!

14. What is your favourite song of 6? '
Ian Hunter is a legend in my eyes - how can you possibly pick 1 song - it could be any one of hundreds! Try Irene Wild, Ships, Once Bitten Twice Shy, Cleveland Rocks, Rest In Peace, I Wish I was Your Mother etc etc

15. How did you become a fan of 10?
Kick ass hard, loud, fast, rock n roll/blues amazing slide guitar and traditional blues as well - this guy has it all for me in this musical genre. I stumbled across him by accident whilst looking for a song called FRANKENSTEIN (which is writen and performed by his brother, Edgar Winter). If you want to see an AMAZING piece of 70s rock music check out this video clip - it sure as hell blew me away.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Bacon said...

1/. Just another night? 2/. Pass on album but sure enjoyed songs 'John the revelator' and 'Shine on me' from 'The Harry Smith Project'. 3/. From '100 years ago'-Went out walking through the woods the other day and the world was a carpet lay before me, the buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange seemed about 100 years ago....Now my friends are weary with their smiles living out a dream that theirs once was don't you think sometimes it's wiser not to grow up. 4/. None sadly I bet 'Delilah' was a hoot to watch on stage. 5/. Pass 6/. Grapefruit Moon 7/. All of 'Drive my car' Asked a girl what she wanted to be she said listen babe can't you see I'm going to be famous a star of the screen but you can do something in between baby you can drive my car and maybe I'll love you etc. 8/. Can not remember but Wilco with that machine gun axe what a joy to watch. 9/. Haven't yet but as commenetd before he was fun on The Harry Smith Project DVD. 10/. 'Anthem' off 'The Impossible Dream' those bagpipes and Vicki Silva backing vocals give me the shivers. 11/. Sadly none. 12/. Listening to 'Easter' with my sister Lizzie when we were teenagers living down Linton Crescent Patti nailed 'Because the night' and did Bruce proud. 13/. The album 'Horses' has it's moments I would choose the last track 'Elegie'. It's a tough deal when friends leave us you miss their laughter and smiles. 14/. 'Angeline' I loved his interview with Creem magazine in 1974 when he quoted "Perhaps we're alright where we are; forever on the way up." Great stuff. 15/. I bought my first Gibson off Domonic Ellison back in 78 and the first song he taught me was 'Roll with me' off the album 'Captured Live' with Derringer by his side Johnny blew 'em away no one could keep up with him a true Texas gunslinger. Thanks man this quiz was fun. Bill

6:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home